Monday, January 12, 2009

A Little Humor, a little sadness...

Yesterday morning, there was a Baptism at church. As Matt sat on my lap, I realized this was the 1st time she had ever seen one. Well, after the boy was baptized, Matt turned and whispered in my ear: "Why did he take a bath?" I thought I was going to fall out of the pew. LOL Later on in the service, she looks at me and says: "Momma, do I look pity (pretty)?" That one came from out of the blue. LOL

Now onto the sadness. Mag is the type of child that doesn't usually verbalize her feelings and thoughts (that's why she sees a counselor). She tends to keep them all bottled up inside of her. Then, when one thing happens that upsets her, it sends her over the edge, and we have a meltdown. Well, last nite we had a meltdown. She wishes she could see her Daddy more. She also realized that he has only seen her play softball ONE time. She said, I need a Daddy. Then, she tells me she wants a Daddy - one that she sees everyday. One that will hug her everyday when he gets home. One who wants to see her everyday. What's sad is, I do not think it necessarily has to be HER Daddy. Just someone who wants to be her Daddy.

I know I often miss being held and hugged by a man, but I never realized she missed that, too. The thought never crossed my mind that my children miss being held, hugged and loved everyday by a father. It makes me sad that I got wrapped up in my own longings, that I did not see theirs. This is not the first time this issue has been brought up. I try to explain to Maggie that God has that perfect person chosen for us, and we have to wait until He is ready for him to come into our lives. Ironically, I expect a 9 1/2 year old to be patient, when my patience is wearing thin. LOL

So, the question is: "How do I help her?" I am completely clueless on this one... I try my best to be both Mommy and Daddy, but I know they need more. They want that real father-figure. I so wanted to tell her that she can call on God as her father, but I know she is wanting the physical presence and closeness. I just did not have even an inkling on how to deal with this issue. All I could do was hold her, comfort her and tell her how glad I am that God loaned her to me. After all, our children are simply "Angels on loan from God."

2 comments:

Cayce said...

Awww, I've so been there. I was a single mom for several years before I met my current husband. My son's father wasn't (and still isn't, for that matter) a stable influence in his life. Even though I'm remarried and have been with my hubby for almost 6 years, Bug still has emotional meltdowns and he looks at my hubby as his dad. It's very difficult to guide our children through that. But I think you are doing the absolute best thing ... you are pointing your children to their Heavenly Father who will never, ever foresake them. I will be praying for you and your babies.

By the way - I'm a friend of Jana's and I follow your blog. Didn't want you to think I was just some weirdo browsing through various blogs. Am I weird? Well, it depends on who you ask. HA!

Alison said...

I am praying for you and Maggie. I think that you are exactly right in telling her that her Heavenly Father holds her tenderly in His loving arms. I am going to pray that she will feel His love real and close as He meets all of her needs.