Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Nope, we didn't evacuate!

So, for those of you that did evacuate, I hope you arrived at your destinations safely, and also returned safely, nerves and sanity intact. Personally, I chose to ignore the mandatory evacuation order. Don't get me wrong, I had no intention of riding out the storm. However, I also had no intention of spending 9 hours to travel 80 miles, with 3 kids and a dog, ALONE! That was not my idea of a relaxing long weekend.

There were two other reasons we didn't evacuate:
(1) As my boss' policy is "You don't work. You don't get paid." I didn't want to evacuate only to find out it was unnecessary, and then have to bust my booty to get back here to return to work today. So, I monitored the storm closely, with full intentions of leaving yesterday morning if it became necessary; and

(2) The only option we had for evacutation was, please don't laugh, going to stay with my ex-husband. Now, typically, this would not really be a bad idea, but our situation is not typical. I did not relish the thought of going to his boyfriend's house and spending quality time with them and my kids. No need to re-read that sentence. You read it correctly the 1st time. Anyway, it was just a little bit more than I could deal with emotionally.

Well, obviously, God was watching over us, because our area remained unscathed. We should all be thankful. However, now we have Hanna, who looks like she's contemplating her path, Ike (he sounds mean, i.e. Ike Turner) and Josephine. Would anyone like to place any wagers on which of these will arrive to spend time with us in the next week or so?

1 comment:

Jessica said...

I hate to say this publically, but my jaw is hanging down to the floor. seriously.

I don't know why, but tears are in my eyes for you. (ok, I DO know why, but that isn't the point).

I love you girl and I'm sure that I'll see you tomorrow evening.

glad that gustav flew over us,

jess